13mm and 8mm Tele Vue Ethos eyepieces

I was already fascinated a long time by the Tele Vue Ethos eyepieces.  During the observing weekend in Grandpré in the beginning of November last year, I could use the Televue 17mm Ethos during the few moments when the sky was clear in the beginning of the night.  The view was really nice, and I finally made the step and I upgraded my Tele Vue 13mm Nagler to a Tele Vue 13mm Ethos and my Tele Vue 8mm Radian to a Tele Vue 8mm Ethos during my work trip to the USA.  

The Ethos eyepieces are much larger than the old eyepieces, as can be seen in the picture.

The old 13mm and 8mm eyepieces and the new Ethos eyepieces.

The Ethos eyepieces can be used both in a 2" focuser and in a 1.25" focuser.  Combined with the paracorr, the 13mm Ethos is used in the 2" version, and the 8mm Ethos in the 1.25" version (as the 2" version can not be focussed correctly).

I could already test the two new eyepieces during the clear nights at the end of February and the beginning of March.  The increase in field of view compared to the Nagler and Radian eyepieces is enormous!  Very soon, the very large field of view really feels comfortable and nice to look at.  And the stars are sharp right up to the edge.  Sadly, the seeing was very bad during these observing nights, so it was very difficult to get sharp views through the 8mm eyepiece.  I'm sure this will be better with better seeing.  I'm really impressed with the quality of the eyepieces!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing an ASA AZ800 in the observatory at work

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas

One observing night at the Roque de los Muchachos at La Palma