Testing the Nexus DSC Pro on the Obsession

After I ordered the Nexus DSC Pro, the weather was of course too bad to do some real observing.  Luckily, it is perfectly possible to do some daylight testing of the combination Nexus DSC Pro / Obsession.  The Nexus DSC Pro has a standard configuration to communicate with the ServoCAT and uses 10000 steps encoders as a standard, so for my configuration, I did not need to change anything.  I did some tests from inside the garage and everything seemed to work perfectly.  The only problem I had was that the GoTo commands are not automatically executed, so I still need to push the 'Goto' button on the ServoCAT handpad.  Apparently, there is a small bug in the firmware, but Serge from Astro Devices promised me to send a corrected version of the firmware as soon as possible.  

After setting up the Wifi, I could also connect without problems from SkySafari to the Nexus DSC and SkySafari to see where the telescope is pointed at and to goto other objects.  

Luckily, during the family weekend in Devantave, I could use the Nexus DSC Pro for the first time.  I started up the Nexus DSC Pro while the telescope was pointing to the Zenith.  After confirming the Altitude Reference, I just used the two stars proposed by the Nexus to align the telescope.  After that, I could start using the digital setting circles and everything seemed to work without any problem.  All objects I asked for were perfectly in the field of view of my 31mm Nagler eyepiece.  Also the communication with the ServoCAT worked without problems.  I did not use the Wifi connection yet to connect to SkySafari, that will be for the next time. 

Almost ready for some family observing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing an ASA AZ800 in the observatory at work

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas

One observing night at the Roque de los Muchachos at La Palma