Observing nights end of July, beginning of August, 2022

July 29 - 30

The evening of July 29, the sky looked clear, but sadly, clouds were expected during the night.  It looked good enough to do some observing, but when I started around midnight, I already saw that the clouds were coming.  I did still have some time to observe M 13 and M 27.  

This was the first time I could test the Berlebach Nix II Observing chair.  During the observation of M 13, I used the chair as a step, as M 13 was almost in the zenith.  For M 27, I could use the chair as a high chair.  It was nice to be able to sit down and enjoy the pretty view of M 27.  I still need a longer observing run to really test out the chair. 

I could also try the new Tele Vue 21mm Ethos eyepiece.  The eyepiece provided very nice views, and I preferred the view over the Tele Vue 31mm Nagler, but the field of view is of course a bit smaller.  The (also very recently bought) Tele Vue 13 mm Ethos and the Tele Vue 8mm Ethos also provided very nice views.  

I already had to stop observing at 0:30, because the clouds were all over the sky. 

August 2 - 3

A few days later, a clear night was predicted.  It was a very warm night, and I could observe the whole time with my shorts and t-shirts.  I started observing at 23:30, with a temperature of 20.4°, and a humidity of 77%.  I stopped observing at 1:45, while it was still 17.9° and a humidity of 84%.  


It was a good night for our garden, with an SQM value of 20.25.  The seeing was good and I could enjoy using the Tele Vue 8mm Ethos and Tele Vue 5mm Nagler eyepieces without problems.  I had some more time to test the Berlebach Nix II observing chair and the Tele Vue 21mm Ethos eyepiece and I'm very happy with both of them.  I will write a separate blog post about these later. 

I did not note a lot of things down, as I wanted to enjoy the views through the telescope after a long time without observations.
I started with M 13 and M 56, two nice globular clusters.  After these, I looked at M 57, the ring nebula.  As the seeing was very good, I could even use a magnification of 676x (using the 3.5mm Baader Hyperion eyepiece).  The central star could be seen from time to time.  My next step was the Veil Nebula in Cygnus.  Using the O-III filter, there was an amazing amount of detail that could be seen, in the part around 52 Cygni, Pickering's Wisp and the Eastern Veil Nebula.  
I moved on to the Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888), which was larger than I remembered from an observation many years ago.  The brightest part was easily seen using the O-III filter in the Tele Vue 21mm Ethos, the rest was quite faint.  NGC 7331 could be seen as a bright galaxy.  I had the best view using the Tele Vue 8mm Ethos eyepiece, with the Astronomik CLS filter.  I could not see the fainter companion galaxies (they were easily visible some years ago under a dark sky in France).  
The next object I observed was M 92, another globular cluster in Hercules.  I was really amazed by the beauty of this cluster!  Separate stars could be seen right up to the center of M 92, and the stars are visible very far from the center.  The best view was using the Tele Vue 13mm and 8mm Ethos eyepieces.  In the Tele Vue 5mm Nagler, the whole field of view was filled with stars.  
NGC 6905, the Blue Flash Nebula in Delphinus was also a very nice view.  A faint central star was visible and some detail was visible in the planetary nebula.  
I ended the night with some views of Saturn.  Cloud belts were easily visible using the Tele Vue 13mm and 8mm Ethos eyepieces.  As the seeing was good, I could even use the Baader 3.5mm Hyperion eyepiece.  The Cassini-division in the rings was easily visible.

I really enjoyed this observing night!  I could finally test my new Ethos eyepiece on a broad range of objects and I'm very impressed with the quality, the nice views and the amazing field of view.  
The Berlebach Nix II observing chair was also tested and is very nice to use, and very relaxing to observe as a step for the highest objects and as a chair for the lower objects.  

I also made a timelapse:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing an ASA AZ800 in the observatory at work

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas

One observing night at the Roque de los Muchachos at La Palma