Observing Jupiter, Saturn, a bit of Deep-Sky and a broken Argo Navis on September 5 and 7, 2021

The beginning of September finally brought some very nice weather.  After I tested the Williams Optics Zenithstar 110 TMB APO, it was time to do some observations with my 18'' Obsession.  

On September 5, I set up the telescope.  There was a high humidity, and the transparency was not so good, but the seeing was looking good.  

When starting everything up, I got a strange error message on my Argo Navis.  The error message was something like 'SW Encoder Error'.  After restarting the Argo Navis, the same error appeared.  I tried restarting again, but the Argo Navis did not show anything anymore on the screen.  I could see that all LEDs were on, but nothing was visible.  After some investigations, it appears that there is a problem with the RAM of the Argo Navis.  It will not be easy to repair the Argo Navis and as my Argo Navis is already 15 years old, I will probably buy a new one or replace the Argo Navis with a Nexus DSC Pro.  Of course, this meant that I could not use my ServoCAT for guiding, so I had to guide the telescope manually.

The temperature was quite nice, with a temperature of 15.3° at the start of the observing session at 23:00 and a temperature of 13.4° at 0:15.  There was no wind.  The humidity rose from 87% to 92%. 

I mainly concentrated my observing session on Jupiter and Saturn.  As the seeing was quite good, I really could see a lot of detail on Jupiter.  I could even use my 5mm eyepiece, which results in a magnification of 473x.  

Also Saturn was very spectacular.  As far as I remember, it was the first time ever that I could see some details on the disk.  Also the ring was very nice, with differences in brightness and with an easy to see Cassini-division.

I also observed M 13, but the view was not as good as normally.  The bad transparency made the stars much fainter than normally.  The stars were still very sharp though with the 5mm eyepiece.

I also some a nice meteor this evening. 

Collimating the 18'' Obsession

On September 7, the sky was clear again.  I did some observing from 22:30 to midnight.  The temperature declined from 16.9° to 15.8°, while the humidity rose from 86% to 90%.  There was no wind.  

I observed M 27 in detail this time.  The details can be read in DeepskyLog.  I also observed M 13, and M 57.  The central star of M 57 could not be seen this time.  I finished the evening by observing Saturn and Jupiter, who were again very nice to see!  I saw again one nice meteor. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing an ASA AZ800 in the observatory at work

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas

One observing night at the Roque de los Muchachos at La Palma