Observing nights November 5 and 6, 2020

After a long time of bad weather, we finally had some good nights in the beginning of November.  The moon was still close to full moon, so there wasn't a lot of time to spend observing.  

On November 5, 2020, I had a lot of problems to point the finderscope.  I had to wait for Mars to appear from behind the house of the neighbours before I finally found an object that was bright enough to point to.  Once the finderscope was pointed, I did an alignment of the Argo Navis, and I calculated the mount errors.  It was the first time I did the extra pointings to be able to calculate the mount errors.  The result was indeed an improvement and the telescope pointed correctly over a large portion of the sky.  I will describe the steps I did in another blog post.  

I observed some spectacular objects, but the humidity was very high which made the eyepieces hazy once they were put in the focuser.  I ended the observing evening by looking at Mars and the view was really amazing.  The FeatherTouch focuser made it easy to find the perfect focus.  A lot of detail was visible on Mars, including a very crisp Syrtis Major.

On November 6, 2020, we went already out during the twilight.  Lotte really wanted to see the stars. Jupiter could be seen through the branches of a tree, so besides the 4 four, not a lot could be seen.  Saturn was still a bit higher in the sky and was a nice view, although the seeing was not good at all... We did some lightpainting before Lotte went to bed.  

I could observe for two hours.  The seeing stayed bad, so large magnifications were not possible.  I saw a shooting star around 21:00 going through the Pegasus square. I took the time to observe NGC 6905, the blue flash nebula, M 15, and NGC 7331.  I ended with observing some showpiece objects: M 31, M 45, M 76, M 34, M 29, M 39, and Mars.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing an ASA AZ800 in the observatory at work

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas

One observing night at the Roque de los Muchachos at La Palma